Sunday, November 18, 2012

The Road



Starting on a new project---the road. 
I found a beautiful piece of base, the perfect length and width to create a road diorama. My plan is to build a German reconnaissance unit. German Reconnaissance  units were trained to be aggressive---taking and holding terrain when possible and equipped to fight enemy reconnaissance units for area dominance. 




I have so far built a Revell Swimmwagen--the only model of this vehicle available with the soft top up option...I am currently constructing a Sd.Kfz.251 Hanomag half track by Tamyia. 
The German's produced 15,000 Sd.Kfz.251's during World War Two in numerous variations--the Tamyia model i am building is the basic troop transport model..an older kit--but excellently produced. 


I have attempted several new techniques with this particular construction---first of all--I used an airbrush for the base coat paint...I am also constructing the model in stages as I have seen many modelers do in the internet. I am also attempting to build aftermarket tracks for this vehicle, rather than use the cheesy, one piece plastic track bands that come with the kit itself. I have to admit that these are extremely tough to construct. Little tiny, tiny little pieces and lots and lots of them. I'll have to advise on how this process turns out.


I am so far pleased with how the Hanomag is turning out--I am attempting to detail the interior prior to sealing up the vehicle half's---


I am somewhat undecided on what my 3rd and if there is room, 4th vehicle of the unit will be...some of this will depend on the vehicle size and the number of figures i utilize in conjunction with the vehicles. I am planning on displaying figures disembarking for action on the road and moving to the front. 

Just an update on my recent project.



Our next little get together will be Wednesday Night Nov. 21st--1900hrs at the Roswell Starbucks on North Main near NMMI. Anyone interested is welcome to join us for coffee and nerdy modeling talk.




No comments:

Post a Comment